does a CHRONIC health condition or disability impair your sleep?
During my 35 years’ experience as an occupational therapist I have found that the majority of people with a chronic health condition or disability find that their sleep is impaired. Many factors contribute to the sleep difficulties including pain, difficulty moving in bed, low mood, lack of routine, inability to participate in activities previously enjoyed and medication. It often becomes a never ending cycle resulting in disturbed sleep and difficulty managing the health condition and daily activities during the day.
I offer home assessments or telephone calls to anyone who has sleep difficulties. As an occupational therapist and sleep consultant I have unique skills to assess and advise on the many different factors that affect sleep. These could include:
- Advice on sleep routine
- Analysis of how much sleep you have and need.
- Advice on activities during the day that will have a good or detrimental effect on sleep.
- Advice on positioning/support in bed if pain disturbs your sleep.
- Advice on getting in and out of bed and moving in bed during the night.
- Support to find purposeful activity and a routine through the day.
- How to ‘switch off’ overactive minds during the day and night.
- Advice to carers about how to promote a better nights’ sleep.
Free Initial Telephone Consultation
I offer a free 15 minute telephone call to have an initial chat about the difficulties you have with sleep and to advise whether my assessment/advice is suitable for you.
Personal Sleep Assessment and Plan
I will arrange a convenient time to visit you at home if required. If preferable, the consultation can be by telephone.
Prior to the consultation I will email or post an assessment form to you to start you thinking about the difficulties that you are having. You are welcome to complete this prior to the assessment or we can go through it together when I telephone/visit.
I will carry out a detailed assessment of the difficulties you are having and we will discuss in detail what you could do to ensure you get a better night’s sleep. This may include a variety of recommendations such as a change in routine during the day and night, bed times and wake up times specific to you, an item of equipment to ease pain/help you move in bed, simple techniques to ease anxiety and wakefulness at night.
I will give you detailed information about the science of sleep and the factors that prevent us from getting a good night’s sleep.. The information from the assessment will form the basis of the discussion to ensure that the information is tailored to your specific requirements. We will formulate a detailed plan just for you and I will send you a written copy of the plan to refer to. The call/visit is likely to last for 1-2 hours.
I will telephone you at an agreed time a week later to discuss your progress, provide support and amend the plan as needed. I will provide ongoing support to set up your new routine as required
The cost of the package is £150.00 (payable after initial telephone call if you proceed).
- initial 15 minute telephone call.
- 1- 2 hr home visit or telephone consultation to provide advice and devise personal plan.
- Personal sleep plan sent to you after the consultation.
- Up to 3 x 20 minute follow up calls to provide support/adjust recommendations as required.
Travel is charged at £45.00 per hour.
Further follow up calls charged at £25.00 per half hour.
Further visits charged at £60.00 per hour plus travel.
Contact me to discuss a personal sleep plan for you.